Humans of Technology — Vitaly Golomb, Venture Capitalist and Managing Director at IEG Investment Banking
Vitaly is Managing Director and Global Head of Principal Investments at IEG Investment banking group, acclaimed keynote speaker and Silicon Valley-based investor. He most recently served as Partner at HP Tech Ventures.
Beginning his career as a UX/UI Designer, Vitaly quickly rose to the ranks of Managing Partner and Creative Director at online media company Sputnik Integrated. He went on to found printing ecommerce platform Keen Systems, where he served as CEO. The company ended up being one of three companies Vitaly has taken from idea to exit.
Vitaly has served as advisor, consultant and board member to a number of companies including Rimac Automobili, 500 Startups and CCC Startups. Today, he sits as Partner and Global Startup Evangelist at HP, travelling to over 20 countries every year, sharing his expertise on startups and entrepreneurship. He is also a contributing editor at TechCrunch and author of ‘Accelerated Startup’; a textbook used by accelerator programs and business schools around the world.
1) Android or iOS?
2) Bitcoin or Ethereum?
Some future form of Ethereum.
3) Gmail or Outlook?
4) Best gift you’ve ever received?
Advice from my mentors.
5) Best gift you’ve ever given?
6) What is the one book you’ve read over and over again?
‘Spent: Sex, Evolution, and Consumer Behaviour’, by Geoffrey Miller.
7) What is the one book you would recommend all fresh graduates to read?
‘Guns, Germs, and Steel’, by Jared Diamond.
8) What is the best thing that happened this year?
Can’t talk about it just yet!
9) Most memorable career moment so far?
Looking at the company bank account after closing the first multi-million dollar investment round.
10) What’s your favourite country to visit?
11) Last country you visited?
12) What country would you like to visit?
13) What is something you always travel with?
Melatonin, caffeine pills with B vitamins, and noise reduction headphones.
14) What’s the world’s most pressing issue today?
Inequality of opportunity and education.
15) What’s your go-to news source?
Apple News, CNBC and Seeking Alpha for financial news.
16) What’s your go-to social media channel?
17) What’s the first thing you do when you wake up?
Check the market, respond to any urgent overnight emails from colleagues around the world, take vitamins and then head to my home gym.
18) What’s the last thing you do before leaving the office?
Set out my task list for the following day.
19) What advice would you give to someone who wants to be a keynote speaker?
Come up with a unique, in-depth perspective on a topic. Take every opportunity to speak and practice.
20) Who is your role model?
I’ve had a number of personal mentors throughout my career, and I’ve synthesize their knowledge. I don’t worship any heroes in particular.
21) What did you study at university? Why?
Computer and Video Imaging. I was a self-taught designer at the beginning of my career but I had to formalize to make my mom happy.
22) What is your valuable skill?
Being able to break down complex problems.
23) What is one skill you wish you had?
24) What is the best advice you ever received?
Do well then do good.
25) What is the best advice you’ve ever given?
Focus. No one is smart enough to be the best at something with a part-time effort.
26) What is the superpower that you wish you had?
To stop time.
About Humans of Technology
Humans of Technology gives a glimpse into the minds of the people behind Asia’s most dynamic tech companies. An initiative led by GetLinks, Humans of Technology aims to inspire newbies and veterans alike to join the thriving tech community.
Join GetLinks – the biggest tech talent network in South East Asia. Expand your network and explore job opportunities.